Tuesday, July 5, 2016

My #ISTE2016 Nugget

I’ve never been to ISTE before. This was my first trip to ‘the room where it happens’ and it didn’t disappoint. I arrived on Saturday morning and within five minutes of stepping into the conference center, I heard people geeking out about tech tools, hashtags, and backpacks. I was right where I needed to be.

Prior to the trip friends were asking why I’d make the trek all the way to Denver and the answer was simple, the people. My goal for ISTE this year was catching up and meeting people. Every time I go to a conference I learn just as much, if not more, from the people in attendance. This conference was no different.

I was fortunate to connect with so many people from the internet that I could not contain my happiness. Not only did I get to reunite with my Google Innovator #MTV16 family, but I got to meet the many of the amazing #COL16 cohort. Then there was the #tosachat, #connectedtl, and #personalizedPD friends. Then it was great to connect with leaders from EdTechTeam, BreakoutEDU, and CUE.

Throughout every conversation, I noticed one theme. We all are struggling; some of us need help with getting leadership on board, gamification, robots, pushing beyond the S of SAMR, or getting our friends connected to a PLN. But what I love about the educational technology community is we don’t give up and we share. No one had the answer, but we all were willing to share where we are in the process.

So, when asked what’s my one nugget from ISTE it isn’t a tool, app, device, or program. It doesn't let perfect get in the way of progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment